Saturday, August 25, 2001

Worldwide People:

In Portland, OR, we have a hospital called Oregon Health Sciences University. It was built on a hill and thus is called "Pill Hill."

I know that location is everything, but one quality I look for in a hospital is well marked signs and easy parking and... I pretty much want my hand held on my way to the emergency room.

OHSU is a goddamned labyrinth. I went last night for an ear infection and holy shit! I thought that I was going to get lost and someone was going to find my carcass (complete with oozing ear) under some low flying buzzards. This hospital? They make you validate your parking.

Once I parked, I went into the first building I could find and no one was around. Lights were on, no one home. If I had a cam corder, I would have shot some stock footage for a horror movie. Eventually I found some people in the prosthetics wing. People in wheelchairs everywhere. I'm on the third floor and I hop into the nearest elevator. There's a sign:

In case of fire, do not use elevator - use stairs.

Sick fucks. I'd love to be in a wheelchair, stuck in a fire, and have that sign taunting me.

I'm going to take a break from the bitterness and head out for the coast. later.

gooch

No comments: