Monday, September 10, 2001

I watched the Blind Melon "Behind The Music" last night. The show was an hour long, but I could have summed up Blind Melon (specifically, their front man Shannon Hoon) in 10 seconds: I'm high-I'm nobody; I'm high-I'm famous; I'm high-I'm pissing on a crowd; I'm high-I'm fucking dead. [insert credit to Denis Leary here]

What's funny is that the subject of the Behind the Music was Blind Melon, but it was all about Shannon Hoon. Shannon Hoon's videos. The birth of Hoon's kid. Hoon in high school. What the band members thought of Hoon. What Shannon Hoon liked to have for breakfast (apparently, cocaine). Blind Melon was a great band, but the guy who overdoses always gets the spotlight. One minute, we're saying "Hey kids: don't do drugs!" But then we put on shows that say "Hey kids: check out the musical genius who had a great career while doing a ton of crack, heroine, cocaine, LSD, and more!"

Overdosing is probably one of the greatest career moves an artist can make. That and suicide. I'm going to invent a bent spoon that fits on the end of a shotgun and sell it to musicians as the "Career Saver 3000."

One band that doesn't need to ingest the barrel of a pistol is the Pennsylvania band, GOOCH. Sure, I'm biased, but they have a free demo disc on their website. Check it out.

-gooch (the man, not the band)

No comments: