Thursday, April 15, 2004

GOOCH'S: BELIEVE IT OR FUCKING NOT.

My company is a subcontractor to a subcontractor to a subcontractor to Coinstar, the grocery-store coin changing machine company. I'm helping to decommission the old machines and prep new machines as they're delivered to the stores.

I'm wheeling out a bin full of change and a customer in the store says "wow, that's a lot of change in there." I responded "yes" and politely ignored him as I wheeled the 500-pound bin to an out-of-the-way site. I had to stop what I was doing and look at him when he asked "what do they do with all that change... do you recycle it?"

Recycle it? Yes, Coinstar makes their money by melting down the loose change and selling it for scrap metal. So, if anyone else was wondering what Coinstar does with all that change, your questions have been answered. Now, go play with a plastic sack.

No comments: