Monday, August 09, 2010

It was the Best of Gooch, It was the Worst of Gooch

Every now and then the universe treats us to a little social commentary fodder. In 1997 when Princess Diana died in a car wreck, she became the most celebrated corpse in the history of the deceased. I mean, she did a lot of stuff for the less fortunate around the world. Between kickass parties and getting cheated on and living a wicked awesome lifestyle, Princess Di did some good stuff and the World couldn't bestow enough glory and praise.
 
Then, shortly after Princess Di died, The ultimate in humanitarians passed away. A woman who probably never had a chauffeur to drink and drive her around, Someone who dedicated her life - every second of it - to helping people around the world died. Mother Teresa, a freaking nun died and everyone had to stop and feel like total fucking dicks for not bestowing the same amount of praise to, you know, a real humanitarian. Mother Teresa didn't end up on Entertainment Tonight every time she spoon fed an orphan. She just did nice things and died.
 
So in the wake of Kyron Horman missing for a couple of months, another child has gone missing. While Kyron Horman disappeared from a decent neighborhood school and has those Jonathon Meego/kid from Jerry Maguire cute looks, the missing camper kid in Florence is a ginger kid. As in a major sufferer of gingervitus.
 
 - - - - - - -
 
UPDATE: The red headed camper kid was found shortly after I paused writing this post. Then I forgot about the post as it sat in the "drafts" folder of my Gmail. They say he ended up lost and not abducted. I offer that perhaps he was abducted, then promptly returned because of his read headedness and obvious proclivity for ADD.
 
******
 
In other news, I've been challenged to stop drinking and to eat vegetarian by one of my Muslim coworkers for a month. He and the other Arabs I work with will be observing Ramadan soon. Ramadan is when the decent Muslims go for a month with "nothing passing through their lips" from sunrise to sunset. I love Ramadan because when the smartest people I know are trying to work with a blood sugar level of 12, I begin to seem smart by comparison.
 
Me not drinking or eating meat for a month? I should make a movie about it called "Super-Bore Me."
 
Gooch:Out

No comments: