Wednesday, May 29, 2002


Dear I.T. Guy:

System security is a crucial element in systems administration. When you arrive at the office, what’s the first machine you go to in order to assess the safety of a network? - C.S. - Sacramento, CA

I typically go to the soda pop machine. Possibly the coffee machine, if it’s made. There’s no sense in trying to fight the forces of hacker evil when you’re groggy.

What can you tell me about firewalls? - G.M - Pittsburgh, PA

Not much, really. I used one at my office for a while, but it started interfering with my filesharing endeavors. As soon as Kazaa quit working, I immediately bypassed the firewall and paid a consultant to change the default gateway on the office PCs. Sure it cost $200 for the consultant to come out, but I’ve already burned $400 in CDs. That’s smart economics.

I’ve heard of proxy servers which sometimes fall into the firewall category. I’m not sure what proxy servers do. I do know that Ebay uses proxy bidding, so maybe proxy servers are for people really in to Ebay.

Have a tech question? Send it to itg@goochonline.com

No comments: