Friday, May 31, 2002

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!



(photo from KGW.com)


Rescue Chopper Crash on Mt. Hood

I have never seen a group of self congratulatory, masturbatory group than the folks at KGW. Actually... Newschannel 8. They're the ones who captured the best angle on the crash and provided the footage you may or may not have seen on national television. I mean Jesus Christ - the producer at KGW must have told its reporters/anchor people to preface every sentence with "the footage you saw live on Newschannel 8." Three people died and KGW spent more time talking about themselves, interviewing their own staff, and showing the crash video over and goddamned over again. I couldn't tell if I was watching the news or "America's Funniest Crash Videos."

Of course, I watched every minute of it, like a hypnotized idiot. I even put a picture of the crash on my site. It's not even my own picture... I ripped it off from the same people I spent the first paragraph insulting the people I took it from. Shit... I'm shallow.

It's funny to watch how the priority of this news story by the three local networks is dictated by how much footage they have of the crash. Portland's ABC affiliate (KATU chann... I mean The Power of Two) wasn't doing too much on the story but this morning started broadcasting "exclusive" footage of some digital photos a guy took. the CBS affiliate barely cut into their soap operas (according to an article in the Oregonian, their helicopter's transmitter broke that day). I've always been critical of the news helicopters that are really more promotional tools than news helicopters. One pilot told me that the news stations don't kick in enough money to launch a chopper whenever it's really needed. You may not see Portland's news helicopters at the scene of tragedies or even above a police chase, but you'll always see them at local air shows.

***

Happy Birthday, Dad.

No comments: