Monday, April 30, 2001

Beeatches:

Downtown Portland is a really funny place in which to hang out. It's the one part of Portland where you have to pay for parking, pay for the privelage to get into a bar, then pay a premium for booze that you can only drink while standing up because there's nowhere to sit. That's right: the emporer has no clothes, and going to dance clubs downtown sucks.

Notice I said "dance clubs," hoping to exclude from anyone's mind the thought that I'd be dissing any venue that supports local musicians.

Back to the downtown clubs. I went to a new place called "Boogy Woogies" (spelling may be wrong, but anyway) and paid $14 (me and my girlfriend) in cover to stand in an aisle for two hours while I sipped my very expensive Coors light. I not only sipped it because the bar priced it at the same price-per-ounce as say, cocaine, but because there was a crowd of people obscuring the entire bar service area making it nearly impossible to get a drink. However, I was with a group of friends who will most likely go back on a weeknight when it's not so crowded. The "dueling piano" themed place is pretty cool, I just can't goddamned stand people bumping in to me every five seconds. The people who did have a table probably didn't like my fat ass standing in front of them, either.

The winner bar of the evening? Ember's. Maybe there is a homo side to me that likes dance music in gay bars (I do own two Pet Shop Boys CDs). A cup of beer is $2.50 (not bad by downtown standards) and the music is pretty killer. Oh yeah... $5 cover. The Copper Penny (SE Foster) charges $10 per person on some nights. Parking in NW has never been a problem for me either, so once again: Ember's is the winner for last weekend, but check out Boogie Woogy's (Woogie's?)... on a weeknight.

Oh: www.goochonline.com may go down the same way as www.gooch-1.com did late last week. This is due primarily to the fact that Earthlink ISP SUCKS ASS. I've alerted the Attorney General; God they suck.

gooch

No comments: