Monday, March 11, 2002

I'M ALRIGHT


--The story of my brush with death

PORTLAND -- A man was shot Monday morning following a fight near Pioneer Courthouse Square. The shooting occured no more than five blocks away from where John "Gooch" Gallucci, self proclaimed writer was in his car, looking for a place to park.

Says Gallucci: "I was going to a meeting at 1st and Ash at 11:30am. I mean... that could have been me." When asked if he heard the shots, Gallucci said "no, but I heard about it on the news on my way back to work.

Two men were reportedly arguing about 11:45 a.m. in the middle of Broadway between Southwest Morrison and Alder in downtown Portland when the suspect pulled a gun and shot the victim several times.

Witnesses tell KOIN 6 News that the suspect fired six times and then pointed the gun at the victim’s head while he was on the ground. The suspect then walked away and got in a vehicle. By this time, Gallucci had in fact made it back to work.



A KOIN photographer working on a nearby story captured the sound of the shots on tape. She ran to the scene and found the victim on the ground (pictured, above).

An off-duty paramedic who helped the victim says that he was shot in the leg, stomach and back. She said that he was in and out of consciousness.

The witness says that the men were arguing over a bottle of medication.

Gallucci, who is himself on medication, considers himself very lucky. "When you come as close to danger, as I did today, you can't help but wonder what would have happened if I was, say, five blocks closer and ten minutes earlier?"

No comments: