Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I hate being sick. I have two important days of work tomorrow and I'm high on Theraflu at 2:30am. See the cartoon about being a contract employee as to why it truly sucks when I'm sick.

I talked to five different friends last night on the phone while I laid on a couch dying and no one uttered anything near the phrase "I hope you feel better." One person called a second time because they needed help fixing their computer. Sure, I'm delirious from copious amounts of cold medicine, but fuck. How shallow an existence I have [wait, who am I, Yoda?]. Too bad it's after 2am, I'd go to the strip club and give a $20 to a stripper and if she asked me if I wanted a couch dance I'd say "no, just pretend like you give a shit for five minutes. Or when the song ends, whichever comes first."

I'm really starting to feel for James Kim, the Californian who got lost with his family while vacationing in Oregon. His family has been found, but he's still wandering out there and searchers are desperately trying to find him. I actually joked with someone earlier yesterday about Kim, a reviewer of and writer of books on electronic handheld gadgets, being lost because he probably used MapQuest, the often questionable online mapping website notorious for getting people lost. Here's an excerpt from an article on CNet, Kim's employer's, website:

The Kims had used Mapquest to map out a route but wanted a scenic route to the coast, Crozier said Tuesday. The visitor center representative who was working that day gave the Kims a map printed off an unidentified Internet site, he said. "She warned them that by the time they got down there (southern Oregon), it would more than likely be dark, and she cautioned them not to take the route," he added.
Holy shit. The guy didn't have a GPS or something? He's rich, he's Asian, he tests gadgets for a living. I'd have guessed one of his many cameras had a built in satellite phone or something.

Stereotypes ahoy!

With my survival skills, I'd have died probably 10-15 minutes after my car went off the road. My survival skills are that unkeen. He's an inspiration to us nerds everywhere.

gooch:out

No comments: