Friday, January 14, 2011

You say you want a resolution...



Other than using the ellipses device a lot less... [damn] I've come up with a few resolutions. I think my six month abstinence from booze and dating comes up at the end of this month. Six months without hangovers and awkward social interactions will come to an end, but not without lessons learned. I understand that  most of my social interactions are awkward, but dating ones seem to be most awkward for me. I can make ordering a coffee at Starbucks feel like a condensed tale of confusion, miscommunication, and perceived betrayal.

I've accomplished a lot of things just in January alone. I've balanced my company and personal banking accounts. I've lost some weight through the not drinking and I've been cooking at home a lot more (not going out as much). I've cut out cable television as I found paying $140/month to watch Family Guy and South Park reruns (the bulk of my television consumption) fucking absurd. I've even finished a book that I started reading just before the new year. Historically, I haven't been much of a book reader. I've even started using public transportation sometimes when i go downtown.

So, in list form, I'm going to post my resolutions here. Somehow, self publishing on my blog makes me feel like there will be some accountability.

  • Read instead of television three nights a week.
  • Out for drinking one night a week only.
  • No beer after soccer (to stop negating any physical benefit gained prior to the seemingly obligatory binge beer drinking that seems to ensue).
  • Public transportation if I don't have a designated driver/couch on which to crash.
  • Lose weight to a specific goal (read: down to 'obese' from 'morbidly obese.')
  • Build the business up. I think I've taken for granted the kickassness of having a self sustaining business. I need to be more proactive in pursuing new customers and pay more attention to the finances (balancing the books and actually reading the statements was a good start).
  • Join a gym and run outside regularly (we'll see how this goes).
  • Get married on 11/11/11. I'm a sucker for numerology. A bit of a stretch, but, you know.
  • Compete in one amateur MMA match. Yeah, later in the year -- if I continue training.
  • Be published in something. I want to write something and have it published in anything (something I haven't done in eight years or so).

As I said, I'm working on a lot of this already. But any asshole can come up with resolutions - this one certainly did. The real effort, as we all know, is keeping them. I find it difficult living without adult supervision... and I'm 36 years old. We'll see how this goes. Here's to a good year.

goochout.

No comments: