Tuesday, July 13, 2004


Lightning, or more specifically, thunder woke and kept me up this morning at 3am. At 4am I had a smoked salmon salad and a diet Coke. I flipped the channels and came across Rocky III. Coming across a Rocky film on TV and turning the channel is akin to sitting down in the middle of the National Anthem. You pay your respects. Mickey, Rocky's trainer, dies in III. It's always been amazing to me that an old man showing signs of heart problems 10 minutes before a national heavyweight championship can lay on a table for two rounds of boxing without an ambulance whisking him away. All he gets is some doctor with a blood pressure cuff? He's got chest pains for chrissakes. Like there's no paramedics or ambulances at a packed coliseum for a heavyweight fight.

Mr T. played Clubber Lang, the greatest opponent Rocky ever faced. Mr T. found his acting niche in the 80s as an angry black man ready to kick ass. Don't dismiss his acting abilities. Mr T. delivers his lines in R3 like no one else can... on paper the lines don't look great. When he says them in the film, they kick ass.

Interviewer: Do you hate Rocky?
Clubber Lang: No, I don't hate Balboa. I pity the fool.

Interviewer: What's your prediction for the fight?
Clubber Lang: My prediction? Pain.

Clubber Lang: : I reject the challenge, 'cause Balboa is no challenge, but I'll be happy to beat up on him some more.

Not so great in print, but gold on the screen!

The Rocky and Godfather box sets belong in every film buff's library. Both have two things in common: Talia Shire is in all the films, and the last film in both series sucks ass. Rocky V? Godfather III? If the Roman's saw those movies, they'd take their numerals back.

Shit, now I'm tired. I only got IV hours sleep last night. I've got work to do today. I was going to segue into a diatribinal apology about how much of an asshole I've been lately and how I promise to clean up my act and how I used to use this website to exxagerate my real life partying antics and now I use it to play them down (no, really) but at this moment I'm as apologetic about that as I am about this run-on sentence. It'll take more than a seven minute Rocky styled training montage to get me in line, but I have been without a drink for over 30 hours now. Gotta start somewhere, right? I love my friends.

Fuck, I'm out of Mr. T. cereal again!

GOOCH: Pitying the fool since 1991!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude it's me the notorious h.u.b! what up man? dude i think you have it all wrong, the greatest rocky opponent was fuckin dolph lundren - ivan drago man!!! mr t didn't kill apollo, drago did! plus drago was like a million times more bad ass, he had that fight won against rocky, plus he took steroids and everyone knows that makes you a better athlete (ask bonds, giambi and those track people). hahaha

hey keep in touch g money, i got myself a little 'blog' too over at http://www.livejournal.com/users/saltbaste

later mang

Anonymous said...

Gooch Clarification;

In your post you said that Rocky and the Godfather movies should be included in everybody's film collection. (paraphrasing)

I think that you should specify how those two movie series are part of the Greasy Wop MANDATORY Lifestyle Inventory, as well as at least one Galliano liquor bottle (full or empty), and no less than three 'wife-beater' undershirts.

Camaro is highly recommended, but only optional if you live outside of Brooklyn or New Jersey.

Just like me, speaking as a Japanese-American, who has to own at least one Kamikaze headband (I have two, purchased IN JAPAN no less), at least one Kurosawa film, and the Anime masterpiece of hallucinatory techo-gore; AKIRA.

'Nuff Respect, Yo.

Interesting side-note; Hub-dawg and I were in the same graduating class at PSU. Ran into him at the ceremony. Weird, eh?


- The YMIKE -