Sunday, February 25, 2007

I'd been having some issues with my heart beating irregularly over the last few days. The fact that my heart would be skipping beats or beating too fast began to give me anxiety, which increased the duration of the irregular beats. I was so worked up that I took a Xanax to alleviate the tenseness and inevitable panic attack that was sure to come. Not only did I feel better, but the irregular heart beating went away.

There was a Dilbert comic a few weeks ago where the CEO informed the employees that their health care was being replaced with Google: everyone would have to "Google" their symptoms and the subsequent treatment.

I took a shot in the dark and Googled "irregular heart beat anxiety" and found out:

Rapid or irregular heartbeat

Uncomfortable changes in heart rate are the most frequently reported symptoms of panic attacks. Over 80% of those experiencing panic list a rapid or irregular heart rate as a symptom.

Three complaints are common among patients who seek a doctor's advice about their heart: "My heart feels like it's pounding violently in my chest," "My heart is racing, " and "My heart feels like it skips a beat." An arrhythmia is any irregularity in the heart's rhythm. If the heart beats more rapidly than normal, this arrhythmia is called tachycardia. An unpleasant sensation in the heart, whether rapid or slow, regular or irregular, and of which one is consciously aware, is called a palpitation.

See? I figured it out. Ten years ago I had the same issue and they hooked up a heart monitor to me for four days. It was like having a walkman but instead of headphones there were five sticky things stuck to my shaven chest. I just needed to Xanax up a bit. So, this weekend was brought to you by caffeine, Xanax, and Jack Daniels. A recipe for fun, indeed.

goochout.

No comments: