Saturday, November 03, 2007

I went and saw American Gangster last night. I'm sick and have all but lost my voice, so a movie seemed like a good idea over strip club DJing.

At the time.

What the fuck is going on at the theaters? Why am I paying $9 a ticket to sit in a crowded room with five simultaneous cell phone conversations occurring while someone smokes a joint? In addition, the projectionist didn't know what he was doing and thus the boom microphones were visible often enough during the movie that it detracted from my enjoyment of the film. Is this what I paid for? If Regal Cinemas' business is showing movies, then they have no idea what they're doing. They certainly don't know enough that they should be taking $9 a ticket.

Nowadays, the period of time prior to showing the movie is not only filled with trailers, but advertisements and public service announcements. The PSAs admonish viewers not to pirate movies or music. They say that it's stealing. I have had a DVD quality copy of American Gangster on a computer hooked up to my plasma TV for the last week. I didn't watch it because I figured that American Gangster would be such a good movie that I would enjoy watching it in a theater. I won't make that mistake again. I can't blame the theaters so much for the smoke and the cell phone users, but fucking up the projection is unforgiveable.

If theaters would stop raising movie ticket prices and pay a little more attention to their operations, then piracy wouldn't be so rampant. The music industry doesn't get it, either. I thought that digital music would lower the price of music through a natural economic phenomenon. However, I was at Starbucks and a point of sale display sold a card for $15 with a key to download the new K.T. Tunstall album. So, instead of buying a CD that you could rip to your computer... or at least listen to once you got into the car... you get barely a tangible product for your money. Music companies are losing money to piracy, but they've been artificially fixing prices of CDs for years. Now, their cost of production (no CD manufacturing) has shrunk dramatically, but the price of music is increasing.

Media piracy is stealing. I do it. A lot of people do. If the legitimate media outlets made their products inexpensive (and good) enough, they would completely pull the rug from under the piracy "industry." I would rather enjoy a movie in a theater the way it was meant to be. Until I find a reasonably priced theater that won't piss/rip me off?

Fuck 'em.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I get a copy of that DVD?

Justen said...

I know how you feel, so I usually wait until the movie is playing at a theatre/pub (Like Laurelhurst or Bagdad) where the movie is cheap and I can drink beer while watching it, or I got to Wunderland (That's right, the nickel arcade). Sure these theatres don't have the best sound system, but what can you expect from a end of run type theatre. An example: Had to see "The Simpsons Movie" on the big screen, because the joke were made for it, so i went to the Wunderland in Milwaukie. I had a great time, and you know how much I paid to see it??? $2.50!!!!!!! $2-FUCKING-.50 I did the same with transformers as well


Wolfe