Thursday, March 20, 2003

Six-year-old child watches war on NBC


Says "This is the worst video game ever... the Tom Brokaw graphics are so fake"

So, we're at war. Normally, as I did with 9/11, I'd be watching television until my pupils turn gray. Really on 9/11 I did nothing but watch TV, eat junk food, and mix myself drinks at home (something I hadn't done in two years). I even remember what I was drinking: Crystal Light and Vodka. It pissed me off that I had to leave the TV to go to work. Or bathe.

I was seeing a shrink during that time (for court related reasons, not because I'm nuts) and I asked him specifically for this website as to how much TV people should watch during all of this. Here's an excerpt from Eleven Days in September in the Columns section of this site:

I spoke with a psychologist today who said that the hours and hours that people are spending watching the repeated broadcasts of the terrorist attacks is detrimental not only to general mental well being, but cognitive ability as well. He suggests that people limit the television watching, or at this point eliminating it altogether and getting news strictly from print and radio. There is nothing positive to be gained from watching the attack over and over again. He also suggested that people of faith spend time in their places of worship, and for people in general to get away from the television and get together to discuss their feelings, vent, cry, etc.

The same advice, I'd imagine, holds true during a war. Kids? They don't need to get information from anywhere other than their parents. So, turn off the tube. I listened to the radio all last night and got pretty much all the information that I needed there.


PICTURE OF A FLAG THAT I TOOK ON 9/13/01

No comments: